I recently acquired an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. It worked out of the box on Fedora. I like the keyboard overall the only issue was the placement of the Ctrl key. Fortunately free5lot has the following patched version of the hid-apple module which adds an option to swap the left Ctrl and Alt keys:
I added a make file and some installation instructions which work more easily on Fedora. free5lot was kind enough to merge the PRs. I also added a patch to change the right Alt key to a right Ctrl… helps with the emacs pinky :)
free5lot has proposed the patch upstream. If anyone can help the patch along upstream that would be great!
I was able to successfully build Eclipse 3.8 M1 on ARM on Fedora 15.
Special thanks to Andrew Haley for all the fixes to the java compiler, and Xerxes Ranby who had built Eclipse on Debian for the helpful pointers.
The work involved ensuring that eclipse depedencies are built and available on my Fedora installation, creating arch specific Eclipse fragments for ARM based on the x86 fragments, a few tweaks here and there and lots of debugging of reading of ant scripts. The next step is to get the eclipse rpm building on ARM Koji.
I have been working with the Eclipse build a lot lately. It takes about 18 minutes to build eclipse on my laptop so every time I made a change to the rpm or the build scripts I had to wait 18 minutes to see the results.
So I wanted to speed the build up. I was under the impression that the eclipse build was IO bound so to speed that up I decided to use . I created a virtual machine with tons of memory and allocated a 4GB folder:
mount -t ramfs -o size=8g ramfs /tmp/build
There was no speed up. And I had made sure that there was no swapping.
So after digging around a little bit I found a way to analyse the build better. At first I had wanted to use
but I discovered dstat.
dstat has an output which is easier to parse for graphic tools:
$ dstat -tc
time |usr sys idl wai hiq siq
29-11 09:34:12| 4 2 92 1 0 0
29-11 09:34:13| 4 2 91 2 1 0
The each line in the output tells it what percentage of the time since the last sample your cpu spent running user process, system process, idling, waiting for io respectively. I don’t really know what the last two values are :).
So I ran:
dstat -tc >& dstat.raw
In retrospect I really did not need to sample ever second and should have run
dstat -tc 5 >& dstat.raw
to sample every 5 seconds.
So I imported dstat.raw into gnumeric and ta-da!:
The important colours above graph are the yellow (idling cpu) the blue (cpu executing eclipse build) and the turquoise (cpu waiting for io). The first thing you will notice is that there is not a lot of io blockage. Of note are the big peak in the beginning which I assume is the extraction of the sources tar ball and at the end which I assume is the writing of the rpms. The second thing you’ll notice is that there is a lot of high yellow which is evidence to the fact that my cpu’s spend most of the time idling during the build. Finally you’ll note that the blue never goes above 25% and is usually around 20%. This is because I have 4 cpu’s and the eclipse build is not parallelized.
So in conclusion eclipse build is cpu bound, and the most obvious solution to this is to make the build parallel where possible.
This is a screen cast of Devhelp support in eclipse through Libhover. The devhelp information is used to provide you with auto completion choices and function documentation.
I installed Fedora 15 from live disk and had a problem spell checking. It was not working in firefox gedit etc. To fix it I did:
yum install hunspell-en
I just discovered the command line utility fpaste. As in “git diff | fpaste”.
I was worried about fumbling with oddly shaped box on the subway. The cashier asked me which way I would like to carry it and stuck those handles on for me. Loved it.